Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Off Topic - Sympathy or Empathy?

Although I might call it "empathy'" if it a feeling for others who are different from us;
and "sympathy" when it is a more verbal identifing with others who are alike - my use of those terms might not jive with proper useage.

But two different ways of broadening your sense of what is "self" do exist.

The expanding out from yourself - that I am calling "sympathy",
and the 'casting your forcefield' away from yourself to protect something not next to you - which I am calling "empathy" since I have to use two different terms to describe two different things.

I guess one could call them "empathy 1" and "empathy 2", but they feel like different things to me, so I stick different labels on them - even though it might be like settlers labeling bison as "buffalo" and wapiti as "elk". Using familiar terms, perhaps in a different way?